Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My third weekend in Peru

Last weekend marked the third Saturday and Sunday I have spent in Peru! So far, weekends have been great and soo busy and this one was definitely not an exception! On Friday some students we met at UPC took us to the zoo. We had a ball and I think they did too! They were showing us little Nebraskans around and telling us all about the animals that are native to Peru. It was a great way to practice Spanish because so many new words were used in a zoo setting! Also, I did not know there were so many different types of llamas. You've got the llama, the AlPaca, the Vicunas, and the Guanacos. To me they all looked the same but there are subtle differences they spent almost 10 minutes trying to explain! We didn't finish all the exhibits because it was soo huge and the thought of pizza was overwhelming. We hopped in some taxis and headed to a Pizza Hut. The pizza here is exactly the same which is awesome! A little taste of home here and there is always refreshing!

On Saturday, I went with a group of UNK students and one of my friend's host sisters to a club about 20 minutes from our district. One of the local kids we were with is friends with the manager of the club so not only did we get in for free..we got into the SUPER VIP section for free! It was great! We danced allllll day long! We learned a dance to the song "mosa mosa" which is very popular here. It was also interesting to hear all the American songs they play! They even played the "YMCA" and let me tell you, us Nebraskans were rockin' that one! Once that club was coming to an end we walked about 45 minutes to the beach "Punta Hermosa" and walked around in the water for awhile to kill time before another discoteca opened up. We then took a "combi" (a mini bus) to the next disco and danced for just a little bit and headed home for the night after a long day.

Since the weekend I have been keeping myself quite busy! They always said the Latin culture is laid back but with all the things we have to do and see here I hardly have time to breathe...I love it that way! On Monday I had my Indigenous Cultures class which is taught in English. This is always such a relief! On Tuesday morning I helped in an English classroom at UPC. As part of our study abroad program we get to help in English classrooms, and travel to high schools to help with English later this semester. It was so much fun! The students were level 1 and I couldn't believe that the teacher was instructing them in English! I would have been sooo lost taking Spanish 1 in Spanish!

This weekend,  I look forward to more tours with our "tour guides" that we met from UPC. We are planning to go to a museum on Friday and a water light show on Saturday, and possibly mass in La Plaza De Armas on Sunday.

At the zoo

The club

The beach "Punta Hermosa" 

1 comment: