Thursday, January 19, 2012

Me and my host family; Fabricio and Nela

"Crazy Time" 
The beach in Trujillo

Last weekend I got the opportunity to go to Trujillo. I live with Fabricio and Nela and they are both from there. One of Nela's friends from high school was getting married so she invited me to come along. Of course I said yes...a Peruvian wedding?!?!?! Fabricio had to stay in Lima for the weekend so on Friday night Nela and I took a bus that left at 10:30 pm and we arrived in Trujillo at 7 am Saturday morning. We ate breakfast and scurried over to the salon to get our hair done and rushed to the wedding. We were running a little late so we got there just in time to see them exiting the church and we took a taxi with some of her friends to the reception. The reception was held outside at a really nice resort just outside the city. It was like a typical reception; bouquet throwing, dancing, delicious food, etc. But there was one different tradition. As soon as we finished eating and the bride/groom dance was over these guys dressed in crazy, almost clown outfits on stilts came waltzing in and handed everyone a balloon! The music turned from slow to super fast and confetti began to fall. They called this "crazy time" Boy does that describe it! Then, it was salsa till the end of the night. Salsa is sooo hard! I tried but I failed epically! One of Nela's friends tried to teach me and after about 2 minutes of me stumbling over the moves he was like, "uhh have you ever danced before?" hahaha it was hilarious! After the reception, Nela's friends had a party at one of their houses so we went there until 2 am and crashed that night. 

The next day, we went to a beach outside of Trujillo and played sand volleyball. During lunch Nela made a call and then looked at me and said "Nicki, there aren't any more buses for tonight" She said it so matter of factly that I figured there was no way I had translated it right in my head. Plus, I thought we already had tickets to come back! So I clarified with her and yep..no buses. We drove back to Trujillo and went downtown where all the bus stations are and they were all booked. I had class on Monday and we were 8 hours away! ahhh! I e-mailed my professor and crossed my fingers that we'd be able to get a bus for the next night. 

Monday came and we went to La Plaza de Armas in Trujillo and did some shopping and errands for Nela because she was leaving the following Friday for the United States to visit an old friend. We got tickets for a bus back to Lima and it was to leave at 10:45 pm. We were eating dinner that night at 9:30 and I asked Nela what time she had planned to leave for the bus station. She said 10:15 and knowing that the bus station wasn't too far I knew this would be fine. 10:15 rolls around and we're not leaving 10:20, 10:25...all I could think was "NOOOO i can't miss another day of class!!!" Finally at 10:30 we hop in a taxi and make it in just the nick of time. Nela was never once worried about making it...that is definitely one difference I have got to get used to here! In the United States 5 minutes early is on time and here in Peru 5 minutes late is on time. 

1 comment: