Saturday, January 7, 2012

I made it!!

Phew! What a day yesterday was! I flew out of Omaha at 10:52 am. and everything was going swell, all of our flights were on time, no problems in the airports, etc...Then we were about to land in Lima and they handed out these sheets that we had to fill out to declare what we had and stuff. One spot said we had to say if we had bought anything, what it was, and how much it was. Well, I had bought a bottle of water in the airport at Panama and I thought it was silly to declare this but the last thing I wanted to do was get my butt thrown in a Peruvian jail over a bottle of water. So, I declared it and spread the word. Soon, Derek tells me that he read the small print on the back and it said only declare things over $3,000. My bottle of water was $2.95. But hey, they now know I have a bottle of water! Then, our plane landed and we went to immigrations. Everyone else made it through fine and I stepped up to the man and he asks how long I will be in Peru. I answer "cuatro meses" He then starts freaking a leak and telling me no, no, no, my passport only had 90 days on it and I need 120 for 4 months. (Talk about having my stomach drop!) Some other people from my group come over and show him that they got through immigrations and they also only had 90 days in their passport. We tried to explain we were students but he didn't understand so he shooed everyone else away and raised his voice and said "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?!?!" I again tried to explain that I was just a harmless student but he still did not understand so he called over like 4 guys all dressed in security outfiits and they surrounded me and looked at my passport. All I could think was "Well get ready Nicki, they're going to hand-cuff you and throw you in jail even though you declared that bottle of water!" But they talked in really fast spanish to the man and left. The man then looked at me and calmly said with a smile "All is well, go on" So I get through that, find my bags that weigh 1,000,000,000,000 lbs and head out to where I am supposed to meet my host family.
I live with Nela and Fabricio. I was originally going to live with another UNK student but she was placed with a different family last minute. Anyway, Fabio greeted me with a hug and kiss on the cheek (something I still need to get used to) and handed me a boquet of flowers and off we went. We got to the apartment, I put my stuff down, and we headed out to Fabio's and Nela's friends house until 5am.

1 comment:

  1. Well honey it sounds like you landed with a bang, now your adventure begins! I am anxious to see some pictures. Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete