Monday, April 16, 2012

Exactly 2 weeks left...time to make every moment count!

In exactly 2 weeks from today I will be on a plane somewhere heading back home. I truly cannot believe my time here has dwindled so quickly! It feels like it was just yesterday I was getting ready and avoiding the topic of Peru because I was so scared to come! Every time someone would mention Peru or the fact I'd be gone for 4 months my stomach dropped! I cannot believe it! This experience has most definitely exceeded my expectations! I knew it would be fun but I didn't know something could be this awesome! I am going to miss so much about Peru when I come back home! Now that my time is limited I am just trying to live in the moment and enjoy every little thing once again. My first week here I remember looking out my bedroom window and I was like "What in the world am I doing here?!?!" Now everything just seems so normal! All the car alarms and honking are just background noise to my everyday life!

This week is the last week of our classes so a lot of people will be leaving by Friday which means last weekend was the final weekend for many of my classmates. We tried our darndest to make it the best for them. On Friday we made reservations at a nice restaurant in Barranco and took our professors out to eat. After the supper we had plans to go to a club in Larcomar to celebrate one of our Peruvian friends birthday. Emily, Mary, and I decided to get ready together at my house before hand and we figured since the timing of both events were so close there was no way anyone would return to Surco before the disco. We also heard that for this particular disco you needed to be dressed for the best. We decide to get to my house at 4:30 and we would be able to meet the group at UPC at 6. No such luck. Everyone arrived to my house at about 5 and stress mode was put into play. Mary hopped in the shower, and afterwards Fabricio and Nela transformed into hair dressers. They dried her hair and then they used my straightener and Nela's and were on each side of her goin at the hair. Emily had brought a dress over that I could borrow but Nela deemed it unacceptable for the club we were going to. She said it was more for a beach then a club so out comes dresses. Remember the style here is a bit..uhhh...well.....less conservative! Every dress she had me in was like she thought I was going out to work on the corners!! Ahhh! All the while Emily is also running around like a chicken with her head cut off and make up, jewelry, and clothes are just flying. (5:45 p.m.) We have to leave NOW in order to get to UPC on time but still I don't have a dress figured out, Em's makeup still isn't done and Mary is still has a head of half curly half straight hair. So we make the executive decision to get our own taxi and meet everyone at the restaurant. Finally, we left my house at about 6:30 and got to the restaurant just a tad late but we figured everyone would be dressed up already as well. We walked in and uhhh nope...we were the only ones! Owell!!! After supper, other people headed home to get ready and we met back up at the disco and a had a blasty-blast.

With my host family before leaving in a frenzy Friday
Jesus, Dr. Aviles, Christian, Roberto
My professors this semester have been soo awesome! Dr. Aviles is from Nebraska and without him here I am not sure everything would have gone so smoothly! He claims he didn't really feel like his role here was important but he was constantly going to the International office and getting things organized and figured out for us. My Literature teacher, Christian, is great. He knows almost no English so the "charades" we got to play every week in that class was awesome. When we didn't understand a part of the story he would either act it out or draw his little stick figures on the board. Also, he was just so excited about what he was teaching! He got so into it and while I thought it was rather dry at times, it was hilarious to look up there and see his expressions as he talked about the stories. My Conversation teacher, Jesus, was by far my favorite professor here. He was sooo chill and made us all feel really comfortable with our Spanish. He also has a knack for knowing what words would be hard so as he would talk he would just write some of the more difficult words he used on the board so we could write them down if we wanted. Also, we played some of the best games in that class. It was an awesome way to learn a new language. And Roberto, my grammar teacher is a good guy! He really got stuck with a tough subject to teach so I give him props.

The next night one of the students had put us all on a list to get into a disco for free. So we got dressed up again, met at my house, headed to Miraflores and danced the night away yet again. Sunday I stayed around the house with my family and we ate lunch at a little market near my house with the best Causa ever! It is soo delicious! Its like a potatoes, chicken, vegetable casserole. Probably my favorite dish here! Later that night, Fabricio and I ordered chicken in and had some supper "pollo a la brasa" (its just rotisserie chicken but they say it is a typical dish of Peru haha...but again...another one of my favorites!)

Las chicas on Saturday!
This week, I only have 2 classes because we finished up 2 last week. I have Peruvian Literature tomorrow where I need to go in and write an essay about a theme from some of the stories we read. On Thursday I have grammar and I have to take a huge-honkin test about Spanish grammar.



Next week I leave on Monday to go to Iquitos and explore the Amazon with some friends so that should be a schweet! I can't wait! Once I get back on Thursday I will just have a few days left here in Peru so I will try to make the best out of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment